Using crystals for beginners
Are you new to crystal healing? Here is some information to get you on your way. Crystals aren't just for spiritual gurus and yogis, anyone can use them. Yes, that means you!
Crystals are shimmering, colourful and pretty but beyond their beauty they have healing properties. Here are some examples of how they may help you:
- aid a better nights sleep;
- help calm and relax the mind and body;
- ward off negativity;
- encourage confidence;
- assist with healing of the body and the list goes on…
These shimmering stones harness power; crystals connect us to the Earth. Crystals pick up on your unique energy and amplify the positive vibes that you’re feeling with your every thought and intention.
You may ask, how can crystals actually heal us? In order to heal, you must feel. Crystals are tools that help you on your own journey. You are still required to do the work. When choosing the right crystals for you, you tap into your intuition. You will know what is good for you. Go for what you're attracted too and trust in the process. You're not going to make a wrong decision - you will be attracted to the stone for where you are, at that moment. Experts say, the crystal actually choses you!
There is no wrong or right way to use crystals. In order to reap the benefits, it is important to use crystals as part of your daily routine. You will need to give the crystal a job and purpose. Follow these steps to help get you started:
1. Cleanse your crystal by using your preferred method. Various methods include:
- immerse in the smoke from burning sage or a palo santo stick for 30-60 seconds;
- place your crystal under a full moon overnight;
- bury your crystal in the Earth for 24 hours;
- bury your crystals in brown rice for 24 hours, discard the rice immediately once it has been used;
- place on top of a clear quartz or selenite crystal to cleanse and clear the energy for >6 hours.
2. Hold your crystal in your hands, close your eyes and take three deep breaths. Reflect on what makes you happy, this will connect you to your highest vibrations. While in this space, ask your crystal to be cleared of all unwanted energy or previous programming. This is also referred to as intention setting.
3. Say in your head or aloud “I ask that the highest vibration of love and light connect with my highest self to clear all unwanted energy or any previous programming. I command this crystal to hold the intention of . . .” To finish the sentence, add three intentions for your crystal - energies that you wish it to hold for you. End by repeating “thank you” three times. By saying it three times, you emphasise that what you’re asking for already exists in the universe.
Just one more note on cleansing, when you feel your crystal isn't as strong or no longer working - repeat the process of cleansing (step 1). As a rough idea, perhaps cleanse your crystals monthly. You will know, you'll get a feeling.
Once the intention has been set, you can then use your crystals in many different ways, this may look like:
- carrying your crystals in your handbag or pocket. Remember to use them as a touchstone during the day to help keep you grounded;
- meditate with your crystals whilst holding them;
- place your crystals in a nice relaxing bath (not all crystals can be submerged in water);
- wear your crystals as jewellery;
- place crystals around your home. Not only will they look beautiful but they will encourage and create a desired atmosphere;
- bring crystals to work with you to encourage good vibes and they'll also become pretty décor.
We have the ability to control our thoughts and choose our path in life. There is a quote Albert Einstein once said "everything in life is vibration". You're surrounded by energy. If you believe crystals are able to heal, the positive vibes of the crystals will amplify your thoughts. Crystals remind us to quiet our mind and reconnect to the Earth. It is important to be patient with your crystals; it is a process and can take time. As you grow and learn, use your crystals as a reminder to be grateful for Mother Nature and the greatest mysteries of the universe.